These articles might answer your enquiry…

Search the knowledge area

How do I apply for a vehicle crossover?

To apply for a vehicle crossover, please download the application pack below, complete and return to us at or by post to East Sussex Highways, The Broyle, Ringmer, East Sussex, BN8 5NP.


What is a vehicle crossover?

A vehicle crossover (often referred to as a dropped kerb or vehicle access) allows you to have safe, legitimate, properly constructed access to your property, over a verge or footway, which is suitable for use by cars and other domestic vehicles.  A vehicle crossing usually requires the kerb line to be lowered and the verge or a footway to be adjusted and strengthened to support the weight of vehicles crossing over it.

Why must I have one?

Footways and verges are normally only built to a standard to cater for pedestrian use and therefore they need to be strengthened to support the weight of a vehicle driving over them.  The dropped kerbs are necessary to provide a suitable gradient between the carriageway and footway to prevent damage to the kerbs.  Driving over a footway or verge to access your property without an authorised vehicle crossing is unlawful and can result in liability for damage to the highway and buried services beneath it.

Do you have any legal powers to insist on a vehicle crossover?

Yes, under Section 184 of the Highways Act 1980.

I'm moving home, can I prove my vehicle crossing is authorised?

If you are moving home and require retrospective evidence whether or not your existing crossing is authorised and property constructed, we can undertake a records check/site inspection on your behalf and confirm our findings with you in writing.  Please email

How much do vehicle crossings cost?

This depends on the size of the crossing, whether utilities' services or street furniture is affected and which contractor you use.  You will need to obtain quotations and we advise you get at least three, before choosing a contractor for the works.  You will be responsible for paying for the works directly to the contractor.  East Sussex Highways charge an additional fee for providing and overseeing the licence process which is currently £280.

What permissions do I need?

  • Firstly, if you live in a conservation area or on a classified road, you are advised to check if planning permission is required from your local Borough or District Council.  A list of classified roads and conservation areas in East Sussex are included in this guidance for your reference.
  • You may also need planning permission if the surface water run-off from your proposed driveway is not contained within the curtilage of your property.
  • Secondly, you will need permission from East Sussex Highways, as the local Highway Authority, in the form of a licence.  There is no automatic right to a licence and we will assess every vehicle crossing application from a safety and suitability viewpoint.  We reserve the right to refuse permission where a vehicle crossing is either unsafe or unsuitable.
  • If you are renting the property, you must obtain the consent of your landlord in writing to proceed.
  • If you do not own the land between your property and the highway then you will need written permission from the landowner.

How long does it take for an application to go through?

Once we receive your completed application form and fee, and all the necessary information has been supplied, you should allow up to 8 weeks for us to determine your application.  If a licence is granted, you will then have 6 months to complete the works after which approval will lapse and you will need to re-apply.

Who can carry out the work?

East Sussex County Council keeps a list of approved 'Buy With Confidence' list.

I drive a goods vehicle, will the crossing be strong enough?

If the crossing will be used for heavier vehicles (over 3.5 tonnes), you will need an enhanced crossing and you must note this on the application form.  We will advise you regarding the dimensions and construction detail required.

Where can I find more information on vehicle crossovers?

You can download a copy of our vehicle crossing application pack which contains guidance on the process and more frequently asked questions.

S184 Vehicle Crossover Application Pack

Dropped Kerbs and Vehicle Crossovers report »