Service A-Z

Search or browse by topic

Rights of way

Rights of way are legally recorded public highways across privately owned land. They can be viewed on the East Sussex County Council website.

East Sussex has around 2,000 miles of footpaths, bridleways and byways. East Sussex County Council manages these...

Read more

Gritting and grit bins

Grit Bins

When will you fill the grit bin?

We inspect and fill all East Sussex County Council owned grit bins once a year, in the autumn.

Grit bins that are privately owned will not be filled by East Sussex Highways. Rock salt can instead be purchased from...

Read more


East Sussex Highways routinely cleans all roadside drains (gullies) at least once every two years.

View a map of our drainage works HERE

How do you clean a roadside drain?

We use a machine called a Jetter which sucks out silt and debris from the drain....

Read more

Adopted Roads, Private Roads and Private Streets

What is an adopted road?

Adopted roads are maintained at public expense and maintained by East Sussex Highways. All adopted roads are regularly inspected and maintained. All adopted roads in the County are inspected at least once a year.

To find out if...

Read more


East Sussex Highways are responsible for damage to bus stops including the signs, lines and infrastructure associated with them. Flags and bus timetable cases are maintained by the bus company.

For information on bus passes, please visit East Sussex County...

Read more

Common enforcement questions

Is a caravan allowed to be left on the highway overnight?

It is not an offence to park and sleep in a motorhome on the highway overnight.  A caravan must be attached to a vehicle that is taxed and insured.  The police can issue a...

Read more

Report An Abandoned Vehicle

How can I report an abandoned vehicle?

You can report abandoned vehicles and anti-social driving to Operation Crackdown or call Sussex Police on their non-emergency 101 number. 

How do I know if a vehicle is abandoned?

A vehicle may...

Read more

Freedom of information

What is freedom of information?

The Freedom of Information (FOI) Act came fully into force on 1 January 2005. It means that all public authorities:

Must make as much information available as possible through their publication schemes
Must respond to requests
Read more

Abnormal loads

What is an abnormal load?

An abnormal load is a vehicle that has any of the following:

A weight of more than 44,000 kilograms

An axle load of more than 10,000 kilograms for a single non-driving axle and 11,500 kilograms for a single driving...

Read more


Phone 0345 60 80 193 at any time to report emergency issues such as: 

Dangerous pothole - 100mm deep x 300mm wide  Fallen trees that are blocking a road or pavements An obstruction or spillage blocking a road or pavements Missing drain/inspection
Read more

Different types of traffic management

We are guided by safe working practices, which dictate the traffic management that is used to complete our works.  Speed, road widths, traffic counts, plant size, excavation as well as the safety of the workmen and public are factors which help us...

Read more

I’d like to request a mirror to be installed on the highway

We do not authorise mirrors on the Highway, they need to be on private land and that person will be responsible if an accident occurs.

Please contact our Traffic and Safety team to discuss this further...

Read more

Dutch Elm Disease

What is Dutch Elm disease?

Dutch elm disease has killed millions of elm trees in the UK since its arrival in 1971.  In partnership with other local authorities, a control zone was set up in 1973 to limit the spread of the disease in East Sussex...

Read more

How can I report a faulty street light?

You can report a faulty street light via our reporting tool found here. However, if you think the matter is urgent, please call 0345 60 80 193.

Read more

Is consent required for all advertising?

The display of advertising is controlled by Town and Country (Control of advertisements)(England) Regulations 2007.  All advertisements require consent from the Local Planning Authorities (LPA) unless they are exempt or have deemed consent....

Read more

Access protection marking

How does an Access Protection Marking (APM) work?

APMs are an advisory white line painted in front of a kerb which has been lowered to allow vehicle access, for example driveways. APMs can be very effective in deterring inconsiderate parking which restricts...

Read more

Reporting graffiti

Your local district or borough council is responsible for the removal graffiti on council owned property. The removal of graffiti on private property is the responsibility of the property owner. For more information, please contact your district or borough...

Read more

Japanese knotweed

What is Japanese Knotweed and how does it spread?

Japanese Knotweed is a perennial plant which is extremely invasive and thrives on disturbance.  The smallest piece can re-grow and cause threat to native plants and structural damage to buildings. ...

Read more

Can I advertise my food vending business on the highway?

Advertising on the Highway for the vending businesses is not permitted under section 132 of The Highways Act 1980. Any advertisements will be subject to removal....

Read more

How can I report a faulty traffic signal?

To report a faulty traffic signal please contact us on 0345 60 80 193....

Read more