High Street, Heathfield - Road Repairs
Friday 2nd November 2018 for 4 weeks
Friday 2nd November 2018 for 4 weeks
We will be reconstructing areas of the carriageway followed by full resurfacing of the High Street.
Whilst on site, we will be replacing 19 street lighting columns along the road and resurfacing a section of the footway at the top end of the High Street.
Works start Friday 2nd November 2018 and last for 4 weeks.
High Street will be closed to through traffic 24 hours a day. We will however be working in three phases in order to allow access to residents and those visiting the High Street. (Phases shown on map, left).
Traffic will be diverted via Tower Street, A267 Little London Road & vice versa.
HGVs will be diverted via Tower Street, Boship Roundabout, A267 Little London Road & vice versa.
Access: We understand that works like this can be disruptive. We’ve phased these works to allow access to both residents and businesses as best as possible. The road will be closed to through traffic 24 hours a day. However, access will be given in the phases we are not working on under traffic lights.
Pedestrian access will be maintained however, there may be some restrictions when carrying out our street lighting and footway works. This will be managed on site by our team.
Please note that we will be working across the Co-Op entrance on the 10th and 11th. During this time, access will be maintained as best as possible but there may be delays in getting in and out of the car park.
Weather: If it rains or is too cold then we might be delayed in our works. We will keep you updated with any changes via advance warning signs.
Parking: Please park your vehicle off road or in another location.
Public Liaison Officer: Our Public Liaison Officer, Chris Richards, will often be on site to assist with any problems.
Bus Service changes – Heathfield High Street closure Phase 3 from Wednesday 21st November 2018.
During the phase 3 of the work, buses through Heathfield will continue to divert via Sheepsetting Lane and Ghyll Road. The temporary stop located at Tesco Express in Station Road during phases 1 and 2 will be moved to the top of Station Approach and will be served by all services, regardless of destination, with the exception of service 318 which has already reverted to normal upon completion of phase 1 works. Most services will also serve stops in Ghyll Road, near Swaines Way and outside/opposite Cross-in-Hand CEP School in Sheepsetting Lane. More detailed information for each service is shown below:
Stagecoach service 51/51X and 251/252: Eastbourne – Heathfield – Tunbridge Wells
Buses from Eastbourne and Hailsham will operate via Ghyll Road and Waldron Thorns to Station Approach. Journeys to Tunbridge Wells will continue via Station Road, Hailsham Road, Ghyll Road and Sheepsetting Lane
Buses from Tunbridge Wells will operate via Sheepsetting Lane, Ghyll Road and Waldron Thorns to Station Approach, continuing to Hailsham and Eastbourne via Station Road, Hailsham Road and normal route.
Buses operating services 251 and 252 will observe the additional stops in Sheepsetting Lane with service 51/51X journeys from Hailsham and Eastbourne and 251/252 journeys to Mayfield and Tunbridge Wells also serving the one in Ghyll Road nearly opposite Swaines Way.
Except on the journeys to/from Heathfield Community College, services 51/51X will not be able to serve Tower Street and the section of Hailsham Road north of The Heathfield Tavern. A less frequent service to/from the town centre from these areas will be provided by services 231/331/195/225
Compass Travel service 231 and Seaford & District service 331: Uckfield – Heathfield – Etchingham/Hurst Green
Buses from Uckfield will divert via Sheepsetting Lane, Ghyll Road and Waldron Thorns to the temporary stop in Station Approach, continuing via Station Road, Hailsham Road, Tower Street and Burwash Road. Buses from the Burwash direction will turn left at Vines Corner and run via Tower Street, Hailsham Road, Ghyll Road, and Waldron Thorns to Station Approach. They will then continue towards Uckfield via Station Road, Hailsham Road, Ghyll Road and Sheepsetting Lane. As well as the Station Approach stop, these services will observe the temporary stop at Cross-in-Hand CEP School in both directions and buses from Burwash and towards Uckfield will also stop at Ghyll Road/Swaines Way.
Certain service 231 journeys will continue to have to omit sections of route and many journeys toward Uckfield will run earlier than normal. Details of journeys affected are:
Journeys with timetable and/or route changes:
• 0700 from Heathfield Fire Station to Uckfield – to depart Station Approach 0657
• 0930 from Etchingham to Uckfield - to depart Etchingham 0925, run five minutes earlier to Heathfield, then depart Station Approach 0952
• 1025 from Uckfield to Etchingham (1108) – to terminate at Burwash Strand Meadow at 1102
• 1110 from Etchingham to Uckfield to start from Burwash Strand Meadow at 1110, run five minutes earlier to Heathfield, then depart Station Approach 1132
• 1205 from Uckfield to Etchingham (1248) – to terminate at Burwash Strand Meadow at 1242
• 1250 from Etchingham to Uckfield to start from Burwash Strand Meadow at 1250, run five minutes earlier to Heathfield, then depart Station Approach 1312
• 1550 from Uckfield to Etchingham (1633) – to omit leg via Strand Meadow
• 1700 from Etchingham to Uckfield to omit leg via Strand Meadow and run 3 minutes earlier from Burwash village to Heathfield, then depart Station Approach 1722
• 1715 from Uckfield to Etchingham (1758) – to omit leg via Strand Meadow
231 journeys with no timetable changes are: 0735 from Uckfield to Etchingham, 1340 from Uckfield to Heathfield, 1515 from Heathfield Community College to Uckfield, 1750 from Uckfield to Heathfield and 1803 from Etchingham to Uckfield. There will also be no changes to timetable for service 331 although it is expected that certain journeys will be delayed.
To replace the journeys withdrawn between Burwash and Etchingham, a special shuttle service will meet buses arriving at Strand Meadow at 1102 and 1242 and continue to Etchingham Rail Station, conveying passengers who need to travel over this section. Return journeys on this shuttle service will depart from Etchingham Station at 1110 and 1250 and take passengers to their normal bus stops along the route or to Burwash/Heathfield to connect with the main service 231 bus if they are travelling beyond Heathfield town centre. The service will continue to be operated by Simpsons Private Hire
Wealdlink service 225: Crowborough - Heathfield – Battle, including Heathfield town service.
Journeys will operate as follows:
• 0932 from Crowborough to run from Cross-in-Hand via A267, Sheepsetting Lane, Ghyll Road, Waldron Thorns, Station Approach (temporary stop).
• 0957 Heathfield town journey to run as normal except using Station Approach as the starting point and terminal.
• 1017 from Heathfield to run from Station Approach and out of Heathfield via Station Road, Gibraltar Rise, Marshlands Lane, Mutton Hall Hill and normal route.
• 1130 from Battle to run from Vines Corner via Tower Street, Hailsham Road, Ghyll Road, Waldron Thorns, Station Approach (temporary stop).
• 1210 and 1320 Heathfield town journeys to run as normal except using Station Approach as the starting point and terminal.
• 1340 from Heathfield to run from Station Approach and out of Heathfield via Station Road, Gibraltar Rise, Marshlands Lane, Mutton Hall Hill and normal route.
• 1417 from Battle to run from Vines Corner via Tower Street, Hailsham Road, Ghyll Road, Waldron Thorns, Station Approach (temporary stop), Station Road, Hailsham Road, Ghyll Road (temporary stop), Sheepsetting Lane (temporary stop opposite Cross-in-Hand CEP School), A267 and resume normal route A265 Cross-in-Hand Road
Cuckmere Buses service 195: Waldron - Heathfield – Eastbourne
Journeys will operate as follows:
• Morning: after the Fire Station, to operate via Tilsmore Road, Ghyll Road, Waldron Thorns, Station Approach (temporary stop), Station Road, Gibraltar Rise, Marshlands Lane, Mutton Hall Hill, Burwash Road etc.
• Afternoon: from A265 Burwash Road, via Tower Street, Hailsham Road, Ghyll Road, Waldron Thorns, Station Approach (temporary stop), Station Road, Hailsham Road, Ghyll Road, Tilsmore Road, Fire Station and normal route towards Cross-in-Hand.
Wealdlink service 262: Hartfield – Uckfield – Heathfield
The situation with this Saturday service is unchanged and it will not be able to serve Heathfield. Journeys will continue to terminate and start from Cross-in-Hand.
How did we do? Let us know how the work went by leaving us feedback here: https://www.eastsussexhighways.com/feedback